Opportunity exists within a dynamic organisation for an Assistant manager in the Aquarium. This position requires specific experience within an Aquarium (ESSENTIAL). This person will be required to manage all aspects of staffing and tasks related to Operations, Projects and Maintenance within the Curatorial Department – Aquarium. The person must have been exposed to a similar role having dealt with captive animal husbandry, health management and animal welfare – Aquarium life. (Aquaculture) only. Staff management experience at an aquatic animimal-keeping / aquaculture organisation IS ESSENTIAL.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assisting the Curator: Aquarium with the management and administration of the Curatorial department’s operations and staff.
- To oversee and assist the Lead and Senior aquarists with identifying and resolving staff, animal husbandry, disease and operational problems.
- To ensure that high quality, well maintained exhibits that provide the appropriate habitats and environmental requirements for all the animals in the aquarium.
- To implement the organisations Animal Management Plan and ensure health and welfare of all the animals in the aquarium and Dangerous Creatures.
- To support the Curator: Aquarium and assume the responsibilities of the Curator in their absence.
Desired Experience & Qualification
- Degree in the Biological Sciences / similar advantageous.
- Competent swimmer able to pass a swim test.
- A commercial diving qualification (min class 4) advantageous
- Computer skills in Microsoft products.
- Staff management experience at an aquatic animal-keeping / aquaculture organisation essential
- Sound knowledge of captive animal husbandry, health management and animal welfare – Aquatic
- Sound understanding of life support systems and water treatment, water quality and its management, pumping and reticulation.
- A motivated individual with good communication skills and a high level of EQ.
- Able to work well in a team environment.
- Support and endorse the conservation objectives of the organisation
Package & Remuneration
Negotiable depending on experience