Dynamic, successful packaging manufacturing company seeks a Production Planner who will be responsible for ensuring effective planning, co-ordination and control of the supply chain and manufacturing processes and the general control and administration of the raw material warehouse. Ensure goods and services are produced efficiently and that the correct amount is produced at the right cost and level of quality.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Production planning and control of materials.
- Monthly visualisation of departmental performances.
- Manage and control production daily activities.
- Responsible to escalate late deliveries and follow up with suppliers daily.
- Report on target achievement and identify further actions as required.
- Effectively delegate any issues to be resolved on each shift.
- Responsible to conduct periodic spot checks on supervisors to ensure compliance to procedures and plans.
- Ensure planning systems are effective and communicated to all parties from production through to the sales personnel daily. and equipment data storage and maintain high levels of standards and accuracy
- Drive the daily production meeting and ensure that raw material required to be converted is timeously issued through to production.
- Attend various meetings and action/communicate instructions.
- Produce written reports and presentations on efficiencies and shift performance.
- Responsible for raising CAR’s for any non-conforming material received.
- Accountable for all inventory items as well as compliance to legislative, safety and organisational policies and procedures.
- Material Planning
- Manage and control the compiling and auditing of the Bills of Materials via Job Cards.
- Receiving of monthly forecast from the call-off customers.
- Raw Material forecasting / ordering.
- Ensure that daily delivery schedules from suppliers are aligned to the production plan.
- The management and control of all run out materials and provide the necessary reports for obsolescence to senior management
- Maintain a Systematic Layout Plan in the raw material store.
- Ensures organised stacking of raw material within the raw material warehouse.
- Returns (As per ISO 9002 Procedure No16) (Oversee the below mentioned )
- Ensures that non-conforming materials are returned to suppliers with required documentation within the month of receipt.
- Ensures that all returnable pallets are returned to suppliers and recorded as per procedure.
- Ensures that empty flow bins are sent back to supplier and documented
- Control of obsolete stock.
- Responsible for the planning of warehouse layout and space requirements in order to prevent loss or damage and achieve full warehouse optimisation.
- Required to maintain a strict control over inventory levels in order to meet internal and external demand of product.
- Manage and control stock take at the end of every month.
- Responsible for indexing the sheeting job card with the correct cutting instructions as well as the reel information. Makes three copies, one for driver, one for purchasing to raise purchase order, and one to file. Pallets supplied to accommodate the sheeted Kraft.
- Production Planning and Management
- Plan and control Overtime schedule and convene daily morning production meetings.
- Develop Production planning document for each section to ensure smooth production operation.
- Compile Operation plan document for plant Manpower Planning and present to senior management on a monthly basis
- Compile production process Statistics on production board in conjunction with team leaders i.e. KPI Production Outputs, Downtimes.
- Interact and co-ordinate activities with the sales personnel around issues relating to line stops, delivery shortages, overtime planning and delivery timing control.
- Strategy and Development
- Roll-out the production planning performance by using and improving the current communication tools.
- Enhance procedures to aid and improve operational performance, especially with efficiency and quality.
- Contribute to new business initiatives and communicate the impact on manufacturing activities.
- Increase the planning and operational effectiveness.
- Contribute to continuous improvement and efficient production principles.
- People Skills
- Control, coach and develop a high performing team that meets agreed objectives and which delivers best practice results, added value and continuous improvements.
- Motivates all the subordinates to achieve optimum performance by personal leadership.
- Review departmental KPIs and assess ongoing performance of direct reports.
- Control and lead the team, ensuring adequate resource levels.
- Monitor the completion of tasks and record on appropriate systems.
- Ensure compliance to all IR and HR systems and practises.
- Manage the performance of departmental staff, including the mentoring, coaching and evaluation thereof.
- Relationship Skills
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure optimal performance and understanding.
- Liaise and communicate with other departments.
- Ensure an effective interface with other departmental staff is maintained.
- Support encourage and develop team and take ownership for team cohesion.
- Proactively contribute to creating a good team atmosphere.
- Focused and target driven with a positive, can-do attitude.
Desired Experience & Qualification
Matric plus production certificate (inventory management / production) NQF 5
Min 10 years Production planning and inventory management experience
Min 3 years Management experience
Strong computer knowledge (ADVANCED EXCEL)
People development exposure
Working knowledge of the OHS act
Ownership and initiative to make improvements and manage the team