International company with a chemical manufacturing plant based in Alberton has an opportunity for a Site Director / General Manager. The Site Director is responsible for the safe and compliant execution of the production plan as per the S&OP process and within budget guidelines. This individual continuously seeks ways to enhance Business Excellence performance. The successful candidate is accountable for all Manufacturing related processes of the Management System (i.e. Maintenance, Procurement, Quality Assurance, Financial control, Human resources, logistics etc). Additionally, they ensure compliance with the company’s brand promise, enforce segmentation-driven priority setting (strategic markets segments, customer segmentation), and champion group culture across functional boundaries. The Site Director actively leads and supports initiatives to improve regional and global results of the company. It is essential that this person has come from a chemical manufacturing background with minimum 15 years experience (5 of which in a senior management role) and have a chemical engineering qualification.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead the sites’ activities in the areas of Production, Despatch, Engineering, Maintenance, and QEHS according to the Group’s brand promise and segmentation driven priority setting (strategic markets segments, customer segmentation)
- Defines, together with the function leaders, the annual objective for the different functions on site.
- Collaborates with the function leaders to resolve site issues and to optimize site performances
- Establish and maintain a safe and EHSQ compliant manufacturing operation and culture (incl. e.g. Responsible Care, ISO 9001/14001)
- Drive continuous improvement of processes and operation for better productivity and efficiency (i.e. Operational Excellence)
- Ensure timely production of conforming product according to S&OP
- Supports the production activities in order to realize the budgeted production volumes within the prescribed performance and quality standards.
- Establishes goals and tracks key performance indicators for the production processes to facilitate corrective actions and continuous improvements. Leverages teams to maximize productivity and reduce waste.
- Oversees and champions “operational excellence”. Drives operational excellence by continually challenging past practices and ways of thinking and encouraging responsible risk taking.
- Fosters the development of new technologies and approaches (e.g. maintenance) and supports energy efficiency improvements in order to reach cost leadership.
- Monitors operations to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and permits, including Process Safety regulations and corporate and site procedures.
- Define capital project plan and execute approved budget according to agreed schedules
- Effectively communicate plant performance to employees, stakeholders and other necessary parties
- High level of customer mindset, set priorities accordingly
- Fully integrate lean manufacturing initiatives (e.g. SPS)
Health and Safety
- Supports/champions the development of a safe working environment through committees, audits, procedures, initiatives and training in order to guarantee a safe working environment for all employees.
- Represents the plant with local, regional and national authorities in order to understand and if needed take action.
- Supports and manages the impact of the sites’ operations in the context of environmental questions in order to be compliant with local, regional and national legislation.
- Interacts with market management and R&D : to provide feasibility studies and project costs for new business opportunities, to optimize plant utilization, to define future manufacturing capability requirements
- Interacts with HR : to manage the social relations and to build an appropriate, competent and motivated team of employees
- Interacts with Finance : to support, co-ordinate and manage the budgeting process of the different cost centers in line with the business, the functions and operational requirements.
- Interacts with IT (to optimize utilization of ERP system, …) , procurement (to optimize timing of raw material purchasing, …) , supply chain management (to optimize planning and stock levels) , sales, …
- Overall Leadship of the site leadership team.
Desired Experience & Qualification
Education and Experience
- Must have 10+ years in comparable chemical Industry, and 5 years of significant staff and operations management responsibility in manufacturing
- University degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering
- Applied lean manufacturing principles
- High level of energy demonstrating company’s culture and values while effectively leading change in a matrix organization, at times as a non-subject matter expert
- Ability to contribute to growth and profitability of the business through active role in Leadership Team
- Identify, prioritize and pursue sustainable solutions to initiatives consistent with our Business Excellence strategy
- Ability to (re-)design, develop and lead an organization comprised of a variety of skill sets and education levels while fostering teamwork in a matrix organization